Social Action is an integral part of Humanistic Judaism and the life of the Kahal B’raira community. There are multiple opportunities throughout the year for members of all ages and abilities to get involved and make a difference.
- Chesed: The Caring Committee enables members to deliver food or offer a ride to medical treatment to members experiencing a crisis.
- The Social Action Committee provides opportunities for the Kahal B'raira community to practice the tradition of Tikkun Olam (repairing the world). The committee organizes hands-on projects and activities that educate members and offer meaninful experiences for adults, teens, and children. The committee organizes and facilitates many activities throughout the year, including: Hunger Relief Efforts (volunteering at a farm that donates all of its produce to local food pantries, preparing meals at a men's homeless shelter, packing meals at a Thanksgiving food drive); Foster Care Projects (holiday gift drive, welcomes boxes); Annual Blood Drive; Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service; Involvement Assisting Syrian refugees.
- The Sunday School collects tzedakah in class throughout the year and then decides collectively what causes to support.
- Our young adults often involve the KB community in their community service projects and fund-raising efforts in preparation for their Bar/Bat Mitzvah.
- The Youth Group initiates its own tzedakah projects such as this year’s food drive.
For more information, or to get involved, contact committee chair: Lauren Kopans.