Social Action is an integral part of Humanistic Judaism and the life of the Kahal B’raira community. There are multiple opportunities throughout the year for members of all ages and abilities to get involved and make a difference.
- Chesed: The Caring Committee enables members to deliver food or offer a ride to medical treatment to members experiencing a crisis.
- The Social Action Committee coordinates many events over the course of the year including a blood drive, volunteering at Gaining Ground Farm, serving meals on Christmas at First Church Shelter, contributing to Jewish Family and Children's Services' Family Table food pantry, participating in the MLK day of service, and bringing journaling workshops to women incarcerated at MCI Framingham through our "Sheltering Arts Program."
- Other social action efforts include members “adopting” children and families who are clients of the Department of Children and Families to provide holiday gifts.
- The Sunday School collects tzedakah in class throughout the year and then decides collectively what causes to support.
- Our young adults often involve the KB community in their community service projects and fund-raising efforts in preparation for their Bar/Bat Mitzvah.
- The Youth Group initiates its own tzedakah projects such as this year’s food drive.
For more information, or to get involved, contact committee chair: Lauren Kopans.