Kahal B’raira’s Youth Group provides an opportunity for teens, 8th grade to 12th grade, to spend time together, have fun, and contribute to KB, and the greater community. The group meets once a month to unpack and discuss issues of Social Justice and Tikkun O’lam. In addition to weekly meetings, the group participates in two volunteer days (through local organizations), collaboratively produces KB’s Purim “Modern Megilla” and attends the HuJews Conclave (a conference sponsored by the society for Humanistic Judaism).
- Attending the Boston Jewish Film festival
- Performing a “modern Megilla” and staffing booths during the congregation’s Purim carnival
- Packaging items for a community organization’s Passover food distribution
- Making a video. A recent video interviewed passersby on “the meaning of life.” Another video interviewed KB members about what Humanistic Judaism means to them.
- Visiting and discussing “Occupy Boston”
Meet our Youth Group Leader: Sophia Brion-Meisels
Sophia Brion-Meisels is a Kahal B’raira alumni and current Sunday School Teacher. Sophia spent the last decade dancing nationally and internationally with Broadway shows and modern dance companies. She graduated with an MSW from Silberman School of Social Work, Hunter College in 2013 and now works as a clinical social worker, specializing in youth with complex trauma.